The agile methodology has been around for a few decades and was initially designed as a project management method for software development.
Today, agile has become popular as an alternative to traditional project management. However, many agile teams struggle to reach their goals even with the best intentions. With modern technology available, there are many different ways to improve the success of agile teams and their projects.
What Is An Agile Team?
An agile team is a group of people that work together to perform a specific task. In the context of software development, these teams are usually made up of developers, testers, designers, and their respective managers. In general, any group of people who work together to complete a project can be called an agile team. Most teams within this environment aim to produce a working product from start to finish with minimal wasted time and resources.
How Can Technology Help?
There’s a reason why most agile teams exist within a larger organization that provides them with the necessary tools to get their jobs completed. An IT company in Boston can provide agile teams the resources they need while taking care of everything else like hosting, backups, security, and scalability while allowing developers to focus strictly on their software.
It takes a lot of diligence and preparation from both sides to succeed. However, with the proper knowledge and application, there are plenty of ways technology can help improve a team’s success. Some examples include:
- Documentation Tools: Anything from wikis to issue trackers can help teams share vital information across the board quickly and effectively. When combined with other technologies, these tools can provide invaluable feedback throughout the development cycle, ultimately leading to a better product in the end.
- Communication Tools: These days, most agile teams work via remote access. While this makes it easier to get the job done more often than not, modern technology can improve some factors. Utilizing videoconferencing software or pairing devices allows for more effective communication globally.
- Analytics/Dashboards: With so many tools available that are designed to track progress, it’s now easier than ever to manage a project correctly. When combined with software that can provide real-time feedback about the state of development, agile teams have access to better information that will help them guide projects properly.
- Development Tools: Developing an application doesn’t just mean writing code. Many other factors go into creating a viable product that can be improved with modern technology, including version control, build management, task tracking, and bug/issue tracking.
- Collaboration Tools: Perhaps the most significant benefit agile teams receive from modern technology is managing their workflow better than before. With project management software, team collaboration suites, and other collaboration tools, these teams have access to better tools designed to help them with their daily routine, which ultimately results in a better product at the end of it all.
Getting The Best Out Of Technology
The following techniques can help your agile team succeed in a variety of ways:
1. Combine Tools With A Custom Framework
Most teams can’t expect to use the same tools in the same old way, which is why it’s crucial to develop the custom framework that can help you achieve what you need from a technology standpoint.
This goes beyond just picking the best and latest tools in the market; it means combining them with a custom environment that caters directly to how your team works and operates on a day-to-day basis.
2. Improve Feedback Loops
One of the most important aspects to consider when it comes to modern technology is how it can help you improve your feedback loops. It includes having the right tools that allow teams to track their progress throughout the development cycle, giving them real-time information about what’s working and what isn’t.
For example, you’re working on a project that has specific goals or milestones along the way. With the right tools in place, you can measure your team’s progress against these goals so they can make adjustments as needed without wasting time or missing deadlines.
3. Take Advantage Of Other Options
One size doesn’t fit all when taking advantage of new technology for agile teams. Now, there are various options available, so it becomes challenging for teams to know which direction they should go when picking the right technology for the job.
With so many different tools available, you need to take an in-depth look at what your team is doing and figure out how new technology can improve their workflow without adding more complexity than necessary. If possible, try to pick modern technologies that integrate well with each other to make your team’s lives easier down the road.
4. Collaborate With Other Teams
Agile is all about giving teams the tools they need to get the job done; however, that doesn’t mean it’s always possible to do this without working together with other teams. If you collaborate with other teams on your project, you’ll find that you can work together more efficiently using modern technology designed specifically for collaboration purposes.
Having an environment where teams can talk to each other 24/7 speeds up the development process and ensures that everyone is on the same page, which helps you make better decisions in less time.
Doing this allows your team to build trust with one another, solve problems faster, and complete projects more efficiently than they previously did. When combined with the right tools and a solid framework, you’ll create the ultimate agile environment that allows teams to work together like never before.
5. Stay Up-To-Date With The Latest Technologies
Lastly, you need to ensure your team stays up-to-date on the latest technologies and how they can improve their efficiency. You should be looking at modern technology every six months and seeing what new tools you can implement that will work best for your team.
While this doesn’t mean you have to go out and purchase every single tool on the market, it does mean that you need to constantly be on the lookout for new technology that can help you grow as a team. Don’t get stuck in your ways or think you know everything because there are always new things popping up all the time.
The available technology today is predominantly unique. There are so many different ways it can benefit agile teams moving forward with their development processes. Whether you are looking for collaboration tools, open-source software, or anything else, chances are someone has created something that can help your team.
If your team isn’t using modern technology in some form or fashion, it’s time to make some changes and figure out how to make the most of new technologies. This will only help your team grow and succeed moving forward.