Digital technology is rapidly progressing to provide a better tomorrow. Healthcare is one of the most important sectors where technology has started to play a crucial role. Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Cloud Computing are the key players in the techno world. The theory of big data and IoT has been around for many years. However, cloud computing has recently evolved and its emergence with other two platforms has become a commercial necessity.
Each disciple, be it IoT, big data or cloud has a different role to play in the health care system. Firstly, theory driven research carried out by scientists and medical professionals can be converted into building of data via Big Data analytics. Secondly, IoT can bridge the gap between physical devices and digital networks by transmitting signals and data to each other. Thirdly, filtration of the generated data through research, field work and medical devices requires a bullet proof platform for storage. This is where cloud computing comes into play. Cloud computing can store massive amounts of data along with provision of accessibility even in the remotest settings. Lastly, this generated data can be used for improving the prognostic, diagnostic and therapeutic services. This will enable the doctors to provide point of care medical services through rapid diagnosis of diseases and appropriate treatment.
Following mentioned are the three disciples; IoT, big data and cloud with their respective roles in the health care system.
Internet of Things
It permits connectivity between mechanical devices and networks through the passing of signals and transferring data. This will help the medical practitioners and doctors to visualize real time data, offer quality care at lower costs and effective treatments.
- Tracking The Health Records On Time: Multiple digital devices can be connected and a patient’s health status can be monitored and tracked in real time. A doctor can access this health status at any location. Therefore, it becomes very easy to make changes in the medicine dosage or suggesting a laboratory test within seconds to the nursing staff. This reduces the time, cost and applicability of proper treatment.
- Digital Pills: Pharma companies such as WuXi PharmaTech, Proteus Digital Health, and TruTag are currently working on the development of digitally enhanced pills. These edible smart pills will dissolve in the stomach and send out signals to the sensors attached to the skin. These signals will then be monitored through mobile applications, thereby increasing the health accessibility. The smart bills, therefore, prove to be a boon for the pharma companies who can monitor, improve and change the dosage of medicines as per requirement.
- Management Of Sugar And Blood Pressure Levels: Digital devices such as Raspberry Pi, Bluetooth monitors and sensor based intelligent systems are programmed to monitor diabetes, anticoagulation of blood and hypertension levels of a patient.
- Assessment Of The Mood Swings: Latest entry of Apple Watch Apps in the market features an assessment of people’s mood throughout the day. These apps are designed especially to track a person’s sleeping cycle and fitness regime.
2. Big Data
Big data analytics are creating an impact on healthcare by improvising health benefits, early prediction of epidemics, enhance quality of life, reduction in mortality and morbidity and provision of disease remedies.
- Future Disease And Epidemics Predictions: These analytical tools through family medical history can provide forecasts of the disease before its actual occurrence in a person at an early age. Undeveloped and developing countries are usually more susceptible to epidemics. On the basis of previously recorded data, geographical location, lifestyle and current health scenario, Big Data can provide updates and future forecasts for impending epidemics. This will aid in gathering the medical help, facilities and insights for preventing them.
This platform provides a storage facility of data, maintenance of medical records, accessibility of data in the remote areas and a backup even in case of accidents. Earlier, people used to purchase data storage devices for managing their data. However, with cloud apps, charges are applied only on the accessed data. These apps are cheap and easy to work with.
- Marketing The Heath Care Services: Due to the technological advancement, the area of digital marketing is also covered using high quality data.
- Basic Research And Drug Formulation: Cloud computing gives access to data that can prove highly beneficial to the latest research. In addition, it also helps in drug development and manufacturing through its analyzed and stored reports of drug delivery, administration and side effects in patients.
With the availability of various services provided by the digital technology platforms, e-health care of the patient is covered. The future of technology now looks promising by each passing day. The world awaits better, more efficient and rapid advancement that can cure the incurable diseases.