Starting an app company is exciting and impressive; this will be an achievement that may define your professional future. At the same time, however, building an app company may come with questions and uncertainties. There are several options and variables to consider when starting the company, including the process of building the app itself. In the following paragraphs, we will outline some of the essential steps of starting an app company; completing these steps will form the backbone of your company. Let’s get started!
1. Consider the App Concept and Target Market
Before creating any portion of the company, you’ll want to examine the concept for the app you have in mind. Ask yourself several questions relating to the viability of the app:
- Is the field crowded with similar apps to the one you’ve conceptualized? (As a note, sometimes this is a positive, rather than a negative, depending on the competition.)
- Will your app be differentiated from any others currently available? If so, in what ways?
- Will you be able to copyright, patent or trademark any portion of the app?
- Do you anticipate launching additional apps within this company?
- Have you established a legal entity for your company?
- Will your target market or audience be large enough to create profitability for your company. To determine this, apply metrics that will assist in measuring hypothetical quantitative and qualitative models as applied to your audience.
- Do you have startup funding in place or will you require lenders or investors?
Answering these questions will open other questions that will require answers; however, this is part of refining the process of starting your app company. The answers will assist in every specific component of the company, as the formulation of it and your initial app continues.
2. Determine the Model for the App
After you’ve obtained direction regarding initial questions about the concept of the app and the target market, it is time to direct your attention to studying how to start an app and conceptualizing the model for the app. The most effective way to accomplish this is found in segmenting the processes required to build the app. This model allows the segmentation of each step to function initially as a separate formation, then integrate as a whole. Consider steps such as:
- Fully develop app concept
- Conduct research on competitor field
- Determine the basic platform for the app
- App designer to build a functional UI/UX
- App developer conduct testing of the working app
- Consumer group beta testing prior to launch
- Secure funding, if needed
- Monetize the app
The actual development of the app may include additional steps or become outsourced components completed per contract. Either way, the app model, upon segmentation, becomes a clear and concise path to follow.
Build the Company Structure
Although it may be tempting to push past the construction of the app company while building the app, it is vital to the health and well-being of your firm. Applying the energy required to complete the structure, although sometimes time-consuming, will be profitable for years to come. Refer to this business plan for an app to fully extend the details of your business. Within the business plan, you’ll compile detailed reports, such as the mission and objectives of your business, the target market and viability of the app company, along with the marketing strategies employed by the company.
Prepare the Financials
The financial process of how to start an app can be quite high, depending on the variables involved. For this reason, a complete financial forecast will need to be prepared, especially if startup funding may be required. In doing so, you’ll want to list all current expected expenditures for the app and forecast out the first year in projected income, overhead costs, legal and accountant fees, and other items already in planning. After completing the financials, place the final document into the business plan. At this point, the business plan will be the foundational tool, containing the company elements, provided to lenders or investors for funding. If approaching a lender, be prepared to pay back any loans with interest and with a payback schedule. If approaching an investor, repayment may not be necessary; however, the investor will probably expect to own a percentage of your company. This is a consideration to seriously examine before agreement.
Construct Marketing Strategies
In order to effectively move the completed app into the market, apply the planned marketing strategies and deploy across the social media markets. Use the company website to make the announcements, as well as press report coverage that can be included. Use every appropriate tool necessary to guide consumers to the app, including pay-to-play or click-through advertising campaigns. As the first app in the new company, you’ll want to splash the news through all channels.
Monetize the App
There are multiple ways to monetize the app before and after launch; consider each opportunity separately and take steps to ensure there are no overlapping agreements that may violate contracts. Study the financial forecast to ensure the app is receiving revenue as projected and adjust the business plan as needed along the way.
Following these steps will create a foundational platform for the company and the first app it introduces into the marketing. We wish you success!